Incubic/Milton Chang Travel Grant
Funded by an endowment from Milton and Rosalind Chang and administered by the OSA Foundation, this program provides 10 grants of up to $500USD to enable students who present papers to travel to CLEO. Grants are usually awarded to the presenter and/or first author of the paper.
To be eligible for consideration students must submit a paper to CLEO Conference and opt-in to the competition during the submissions process.
Criteria for Eligibility
All the following criteria must be met:
- Submitting author must opt-in to the competition during the regular submissions process and follow all of the instructions provided on the submission site.
- Presenting author must be an undergraduate or graduate student of an educational institution of collegiate grade who is devoting more than half-time to studies within the institution, at the time the paper was written.
- Paper must be submitted and accepted during the regular “call for papers” process for CLEO (Note: Postdeadline Papers are not part of this grant).
- Semifinalists will be selected following the paper scoring at the TPC.
- OSAF will follow up with semifinalists to collect the additional application information.
- Students will indicate their interest in this grant during the paper submission process.
- Students will be notified by CLEO on the status of their paper submission.
- OSA Foundation will contact students with accepted papers, requesting additional information.
- Students will send a completed application to OSA Foundation.
- OSA Foundation will notify grant applicants on the status of their request.
The following information will ONLY be needed should your paper be accepted.
- A letter of support from the student
- A letter of support from the student's advisor
- An estimated budget for the trip
- A copy of the paper abstract
View a sample application.
Students should also include home mailing address and email address. Both letters of support should describe the importance of the student's work and must clearly demonstrate the need for the grant. Incomplete applications will not be accepted.
Note: These grants are not available to students who present at FS/QELS.
Email your application to: APPLY@OSA.ORG
If you do not have email access, you may mail your application to:
Incubic/Milton Chang Student Travel Grant Committee
The Optical Society
2010 Massachusetts Ave., NW
Washington, DC 20036 USA
To find out more about the OSA Foundation and its student grants, awards and prizes visit www.osa.org/foundation.